The first Jewish community in Santiago was founded October 1924. It was called Sociedad Union Israelita de Oriente de Cuba (the Jewish Society of Eastern Cuba). That institution was located in a rented space until 1939 when a new house was built. It was thereafter called the Sinagoga de Santiago de Cuba (the Synagogue of Santiago de Cuba) and the congregation relocated there.
The Synagogue has had two rabbis. Señor Isaac Chiprut Confi served from 1924 until 1943, and Señor Victor Farin Sarfati, from 1946 until 1967.
The Jewish Society of Eastern Cuba consisted mainly of Sephardic families from Turkey. They arrived at the beginning of the century bringing with them their customs, traditions and the language of Ladino or Judeo-Spanish. They came hoping to better themselves economically and they have worked hard since their arrival to achieve this goal.
Location: Corona 273 e/ Habana y Los Maceo Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Phone: 053 226 86180
Fax: 053 226 23768
Synagogue Type: Conservative